This recipe works best for mashed potatoes with butter and butter corn. You can also use rice noodles or egg noodles.
- 2 cups of water
- 2 lbs round steak roasts (top round, bottom round, eye of round, or sirloin tip round steak)
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced onion or 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon beef base (Better Than Bouillon)*
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a large dutch oven brown steak (roast) on all sides in a hot pan with vegetable oil. The browning adds so much flavor, so be sure and brown the meat well. Add more oil if necessary to brown all the roast.
- If using fresh onion, add it to the pan with some additional oil and saute until tender. Add 1 cup of water to the pan (be careful because it may spit at you) and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the brown bits. Add remaining water, add more if necessary to almost cover the meat.
- Stir in beef base (Better Than Bouillon) and dehydrated onions, if using.
- Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and roast in a preheated 350º oven for about 3 hrs until the meat is fork-tender. It could take longer than 3 hours to become fork-tender, it just depends on how thick the roast is to begin with.
- Remove from the oven, place the meat on a cutting board and slice round steak into thick individual serving portions.
- To make the gravy, mix flour with 3 tablespoons water and gradually whisk into the pan on the stove over medium heat, stirring until it thickens. You may need to add more of the flour mixture or more water to get the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the sliced round steak to the gravy and stir to combine.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.. Read More..
*Can substitute beef bouillon cubes.